Thursday, January 28, 2010

North Korea captures American who allegedly crossed border into DPRK

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that North Korean border guards have taken into custody another American who crossed into their country:
North Korea said Thursday it detained an American man who it said crossed its border with China earlier this week, becoming the second American in a month to allegedly enter the country illegally.

North Korea, in a report in its state media, didn't identify the person nor say where the crossing occurred but said it happened on Monday.
The rest of the article talks not about this new case — about which there is little information available — but instead talks about other forms of tension, including the recent shooting of artillery in the direction of South Korea's most precariously located islands. It's interesting that the North is releasing information about this today, even though the American was captured on Monday. Perhaps they'd hoped that the iPad and the Obama's State of the Union Address would drown out the news.

I just hope this isn't one of Robert Park's fellow travelers thinking they can change the regime with their arms stretched out in love. All they're doing is making things worse for people who might need the paths they're using as escape routes.

UPDATE:
The New York Times is now carrying the story as well.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but please be kind and respectful. My mom reads this blog.